Wednesday, September 17, 2008

OBX VACATION PHOTO JOURNAL - 2

OK, back to where I left off.


After Barry went home to finish out the week at the school, I loaded up and went to South Point on Hatteras Island. It's near the lighthouse and juts out into the Atlantic like a little peninsula. Lots of folks go there to fish and you can drive on the beach. It's one of the most beautiful places you can imagine.




Some guys from our group went to go fishing on the point. So, a few of us ladies joined in the fun. Three wanted to shell. Another wanted to "shoot"---yeah, you've already got me figured out.




This is Ronnie, my brother-in-law. His wife refers to him as the "Great White Hunter". He loves to fish and hunt deer. So, as he was sitting in his beach chair drinking Nestle's Quick (no joke!) and waiting on a bite, my sister Shannon, my sis-in-law, Donna, and I were getting a little action ourselves......














We were enjoying the wildlife just yards from the ocean. I had never seen deer so close to the beach before. They were beautiful in their surrounding (I am used to seeing them on the parkway or on the hood of someone's car in Alleghany County!), but skinnier than the ones in the mountain. Shannon had me clicking my camera and Donna clicking hers because she just insisted that Ronnie and Mike would not believe her deer story without proof. So, here it is.







Shannon and Donna found so many neat shells that it took two of them together to carry them in!


This is one of my most favorite photos of our whole vacation. I didn't do a thing to these shells or sea plants. They are just like the Lord put them there on the beach. You know, I think He did that just for me. He knew I wanted a little something special and He even sent the surf right up to the edge just in time for my "click". Thanks, God. If this is what it looks like in seven days down here, I can't wait to see what You've been working on for so long up there...

These are the true colors of the beauty on South Point.
Unbelievable.

And this is my "Pa" (Daddy to me). He has a yucky week this week as he had some eyeball-gouging on Monday (it's so intense that I'm not even going to go into all he had done) and then the next Monday is my Mama's HOMEcoming anniversary of three years. He always makes sure that he is at the house for her birthday, their anniversary, and her HOMEcoming. He keeps her earthly grave looking good and puts fresh arrangements on it often. We all miss her terribly, but I know that it can't even come close to how he misses his soulmate. Love you Daddy, and thinking of you this week.


This is another one of my daughter's incredible photos. KT has an unfailing eye for the things that most people don't notice. The clouds were reflecting in the van windows which were in turn reflecting in the side mirror. She happened to notice this as we were driving down Highway 12.
Our beach house was very close to the Rodanthe Pier. The waves were awesome the whole week we were there. It seems to take a while for them to calm down after something like Hannah and then with Ike still reaping havock.







We took an entire evening for family photos. The ones of the whole family are courtesy of my sister, Shannon and her friend, Donna. Thanks for taking time out for us!


KT does a fine job, huh? The only problem is that Barry and I find her hurling in the sea oats after she is finished taking shots of her Daddy and I together (she doesn't get "into" all the smooshy-love-stuff, yet..... that's a good thing).
He's just way too cute for his own good.
Jackie is turning into quite the lovely young lady..... still looks like her Mamaw, though.
KT loves modeling the latest sea-wear.


What a stinker! Just look at those chinquipin eyes!

And I won't even "go there" with KT.... she is growing up WAY too fast!

Ah, my boys.





Yeah, I think I'll keep him. : o )
I mentioned in the earlier post that this was my sister, Cathy's, granddaughters first time to the beach. These are one of her little one's feet.......
She was pretty brave to bring those little boogers to the beach all by herself. This is the sister that had the major knee boo-boo back in March. She has just returned to work after two surgeries and was bold enough to bring those cute little stinkers to join us. Chasing them is rehabilitation in itself. Add my three year old to the mix, and you've got yourself a regular "Three Stooges".









Barry and Jackson share a special BOND... hee-hee.
They shared a whirlwind... uh, I mean a ride together from ETown to the OBX. There is enough hound dog hair in his car to knit an afghan and Barry enjoyed the whiney howling even more than me. As a matter of fact, I saw tears in his eyes when he pulled out of the driveway to come home without Jackson. ; O )

He finally got in the surf up to his nose (course, that's not too deep given his height).

Already I miss the sights and sounds of Hatteras. Another year seems just too long to wait.



For information on keeping Hatteras Island and it's beaches open to the public, please visit http://www.savehatteras.com/. It's imperative that we speak out on this issue.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl I just love your pictures. I really like the shell one too...but pictures of your family and your sweet daddy just bring a big smile to my face. It's hard to believe the kids are growing up so fast. Jackie really does look like your mom....so does Cathy. I miss her so much....can't imagine what you guys must feel. Thank you Michelle for being my friend and for giving me your mom to be my mom for years....what a joy and privelege to have known her...I am a much better person for knowing both your mom and dad...and for having you as a friend. love ya
elaine