Thursday, August 7, 2008

BOXES, BACKS, FINGERS, AND SAND

BOXES
There are boxes absolutely all over our house! Actually, I have run out of boxes and now I am just stacking everything in piles. And it's not even in a corner..... everything is in the middle of the floor, on the tables, and even in the middle of the bed. Packing a 3,800 square foot house in 5 days with my husband working and 4 children running around (1 of them pulling out everything I put in a box!) is somewhat interesting.
BACKS
Needless to say, I woke up with a sore back this morning after moving a gazillion boxes and also after the following story:
FINGERS
Barry and I are both nursing sore ring fingers this morning after having them MASHED (quite literally!) in between a wardrobe, some stairs, and a door. We have a beautiful wardrobe that we've been using for the kids' closet. The thing took three sturdy, grown men to get up the steps and four to get it down. However, my father-in-law figured that he and I could do it alone. HAAAAAAA! We had a rug that we used down the steps (after we finally wiggled it out of the room amongst all the boxes) and we slid it down. However, when the two of us got to the bottom, it got wedged between the door, the outside, and the steps----along with my finger. All I could say was, "Poppy... finger.... poppy.....finger" (Poppy is what my children call their grandpa Galyean). We finally got it out, but my ring left two beautiful indentations in the door. I was just glad that my finger wasn't mush when I pulled it out. So, I say all of that to say that when Barry got home, he found a huge wardrobe in the doorway and we thought, "Well, Barry's here.... we can get it out, now." HA! After pushing, pulling, and discovering that Poppy and I are not the best moving hands in the county, Barry got his finger (same one, different hand) stuck the exact same way as I did, only his was worse. So, this morning, we look a little decrepit, I'm sure.
SAND
And last but not to be looked over: We are digging sand out of our boys' ears this morning. Before we left yesterday (we are in E-town this morning for more house prep), both boys were playing in the makeshift sandbox on our deck. I heard Jackie blessing them out (that's a southern phrase if you are confused.....) and so I went to check it out. She had that finger out just giving them "what for" (another southern term). When I looked at them, they were COVERED with sand! They were stuffing sand INTO their ears!!! Yes, you did read that correctly: stuffing sand into their E-A-R-S!!!!! Yes, into the holes! And also, they were making face sand angels in the sand (that requires slapping your whole face directly into the sand--just be careful not to breathe in while assuming the position!). I was not a happy mother during all this sand-picking (just ask either one of the boys!).
So, now here we are..... I'll post some pictures later on this weekend if I get a chance. My sister, Shannon, is with us while we are here. While we are doing the "fun" stuff, she is going to do the tedious work of taking them to the lake or the water park.... Might want to remember her on that one!

1 comment:

Elaine said...

do I need to get you a cushioned pillow for your fingers like you gave me a cushion for my falling part :) :) :) had to mention that. Girl you better be careful and not over do it....oh wait a minute...this is Michelle...oh well...try your best not to break anything. love ya