Tuesday, January 20, 2009

THIS IS JUST WRONG






Snow at White Lake.....




that's just "wrong".




It makes my brain hurt!




;o )


We ended up with about 2 inches, although it's still been snowing intermittently all day.





Below is the small stream (well, really it's a small SWAMP) that runs right behind our little house.




Usually, it's just a really yucky green algae color, but somehow the snow created a little magical fairy land in the swamp's reflection.


The kids were unbelievably excited about the snow.

I don't know if it was because it reminded them of home in the mountains, or if they just needed a break. Either way, Ben woke up with sweet excitement just exhuberating all over the place. He was jumping up and down and cutting flips in our bed.

So, we took a break from the math and spelling, and trekked outside for a little playtime.

The older ones showed Ben how to make a snow angel. He was all for it until his mittens came apart from his coat. He just isn't too good at being a good sport when he's cold.


Joseph ended up being completely and totally soaked by the snow in his sweatpants.

No, we don't have any snowbibs. They were all too small for the kids when we moved, so we ditched them. And, well... we didn't think we'd need any down here.

Uh, we were wrong.







The snow really makes our street look completely different.



I have to admit, I prefer the warm look to the cold, white look.
I caught Jackson trying to catch snowflakes on his tongue.


Barry, Jackie, Joseph, and I took a walk down the Lake while KT and Ben jumped on the trampoline in the snow.


















Cypress trees covered with Spanish moss and snow is a really neat thing to behold.
God's beauty is so amazing, especially when He shows you a new combination of things you've seen many times, just not together.







And, how many times have you seen a palm tree covered in snow?
We snuck into our neighbor's yard to grab this shot!


The school officials called school off yesterday before the first flake even began falling. Bar and I were both amazed! The weather-guys hit it right on, though. So, there were a few kids scattered here and there on our street doing what kids do best on a day like today:
PLAYING.
This little guy was enjoying some fun on his new 4-wheeler.


The temperature has already dropped a vast amount and icicles are starting to form everywhere, so I even wonder about school tomorrow. Everyone down here is really enjoying the snow. They say it hasn't done anything like this in a few years, so it's a real treat for them. It's not too bad for us either, I don't suppose. It's kinda like having the best of both ends of North Carolina.


6 comments:

Michelle said...

Aarrrgghhh! Enjoy it girl! We only got a very very small dusting and they didn't call off our school! Oh, I even had my evaporated milk, vanilla flavoring, and sugar out on the countertops just a waitin' for my snow cream! haha
You should have seen those middle school kids trying to make snow dust angels during class changes today! hahahahahahahah
Enjoy it! I've already started praying for some for the piedmont this time!

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

Beautiful pis of the "snow" we were hoping to get more of here!!!

I found you on Michelle's blog....and I'm adding you to mine. Us "Carolina Girls" got to stick together!!

(Haven't been to White Lake since I was a little girl...which was a looonngg time ago!!) :o)

Blessings!
~Beth

Elaine said...

You can move to the beach and the warm weather...but you can never take the mountain girl out of the mountains :D The pictures are beautiful with the snow and the water. I think that snow is one of God's most beautiful creations....so pure and white. Sometimes it can just take my breath away. Schools here are closed again....but you know how these sides roads can get. love ya

Amy said...

I love your pictures :)

I'm in Western NC and we got a couple of inches... but I had to go to work anyway :(

Amy said...

I think "P" would be a PERFECT letter for you :)

Smith Schoolhouse said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! Love your photography!